St Clears RFC | 1st Team 15 - 40 Pembroke RFC | 1st Team
William Davies
Conversion 1
James Davies
Penalty 1
Dafydd Walters
Try 1
Andrew Kirkbride
Try 1

Match Report
15 December 2018 / Team News

Home to Pembroke 27/04/2019

After a gorgeous Easter weekend, back to winter for the final game of the season at home to promoted Pembroke with storm Hannah producing gale force winds to cap it off!

The visitors started proceedings with the strong wind at their backs but Saints were not to be fazed either by the conditions or the lofty league status of their visitors and despite an under strength team had the better of the opening stages but then conceded a penalty for offside after fifteen minutes which led to a try for scrum half Tom Lewis, following some slick inter passing play, converted by number 10 Toby Smith.

Giving as good as they were getting Saints continued to look lively but careless errors bedevilled their attacking chances and captain Scott Powell was able to capitalise one such for a try under the posts, again converted by Smith and then within five minutes poor defensive work allowed winger Barry Alderman- John to score under the posts, finishing off excellent work by the visitors’ backs. Another conversion from Smith and once again Saints found themselves heavily in arrears very much against the run of play.

A successful penalty kick from James Davies reduced the arrears at the stroke of half time to leave the score at 21 points to 3.

Five minutes into the second half Dafydd Walters forced his way over to reward Saints for all their efforts with a good try in the corner but a difficult conversion was missed and the all too familiar pattern of play, seen all season, completely derailed any chances of a recovery at that point, with three tries in six minutes with missed tackles and poor defence allowing easy scores for second row Rhodri Walters, Toby Smith and number 8 Sam Smith and with two successful conversions from Smith an unrepresentative scoreline of 40 point to 8 resulted.

Some small compensation for the home side when outside centre Andrew Kirkbride surged through the visitors defence from forty metres out to register an excellent try, converted with a drop kick from Will Davies but with only fifteen minutes remaining not enough time to make any difference to the final score of 40 points to 15.