St Clears RFC | 1st Team 6 - 17 Loughor RFC | 1st Team
Adam Phillips
Penalty 2
Rhys Gear
1 Try
Peter Smiriglia
1 Try
Tom Davies
2 Conversion
1 Penalty

Match Report
03 February 2019 / Team News

Home to Loughor 09/02/2019

The referee’s whistle not only started proceedings but also at the same time, produced a torrential hailstorm which sent everybody, apart from the players, scurrying for cover wondering if the game would continue!

Most would have been quite pleased if it was called off or at least delayed, if only for a short while, such was the ferocity of the storm, apart from Saints second row Dafydd Walters who seemed to relish the conditions and broke free from his tacklers with only a last ditch effort preventing what may have been an unlikely twist to the bizarre opening.

Sadly rather like the weather and unfortunately most of Saints season, it all ultimately came to nothing and although the home side enjoyed the better of the early exchanges with full back Adam Phillips slotting over two long range penalties, thanks in part to the very strong wind at his back, it never quite looked enough and despite the lion’s share of possession with the game played mainly in the visitor’s half, a try never really looked likely and Saints went into the break with the narrowest of leads at six points to nil.

The second half was marked by the production of two yellow cards for Loughor’s flanker Josef Thomas and Saints lively winger Will Davies, shortly after the restart and with one man missing from the defence, the visitors’ backs exploited the deficiency with a regulation slick passing move through the phases for full back Rhys Gaer to score in the corner with very little resistance from the home side. An excellent kick from scrum half Tom Davies pushed home the advantage and Loughor found themselves one point in front.

 A successful penalty kick from Davies increased the advantage eight minutes later and with Saints’ weakening under the pressure from the visitors and the conditions it was clearly only a matter of time before the inevitable final decisive move and with the final play of the match outside half Pete Smiriglia touched down under the posts leaving an easy conversion for Davies and a final score of 17 points to six against a clearly dispirited home side at this stage.