Whitland RFC | 1st Team 31 - 10 St Clears RFC | 1st Team
Geraint Jones
1 Conversion
1 Penalty
Tomas Rees
1 Try

Match Report
09 September 2017 / Team News

Away to Whitland 09/09/2017

WRU National League Division 2 West

Saturday 9th September 2017

Whitland 31 St Clears 10


First lesson for the neighbours newly promoted from Division 3 West, when playing at Parc Llwyn Ty Gwyn, Whitland is to win the toss and elect to play with the very strong prevailing wind at your back! St Clears failed to do this and apart from a brief foray into the opposite half from the kick off, spent the first part of play on their own line with no chance to even get their bearings

This early pressure inevitably led to the first try after only six minutes when tight head prop Aaron Mayne recorded the first score, successfully converted by number 10, Nico Setaro although some eye witness reports suggested doubts as to a successful grounding.

After this early setback the visitors did begin to assert themselves but hard gained possession was needlessly conceded by handling errors and an endless succession of penalties and at regular intervals with the aid of the strong wind , it was easy pickings for Setaro to keep the scoreboard ticking over, with only one response registered from the boot of Saints full back Geraint Jones. 

Shortly before half time, with the score at 17 points to three an attempted drop goal by the home side was charged down and from the resulting rebound, loose head prop Michael Ryan touched down. The extra points were added by Setaro to produce the half time score of 24 points to three.

The wind continued to influence proceedings (albeit slightly lessened!) in the second half in favour of the visitors but St Clears were unable to convert their possession or the penalties into points until ten minutes into the half, after excellent forward play, when number 8 Tom Rees (pictured) touched down for a well deserved try, which together with the conversion from Geraint Jones reduced the arrears to 24 points to 10.

Stalemate resulted at this point despite the considerable efforts of both sides and no further scores were registered, although Whitland did look the more likely to score, until the game was effectively settled with ten minutes remaining when a gap in the visitors defence was exploited by a powerful run from half way by winger Sean Coles resulting in a try under the posts. The extras were added by Setaro to produce the final score of 31 points to 10.   

A packed crowd with both sides supporters’ well represented, clearly enjoyed this first league encounter between the near neighbours and the home side, with their experience gained from higher league experience were undoubtedly worthy winners but a slightly below par performance from Saints, despite all their valiant efforts and a score line which slightly flattered the home side clearly left their supporters disappointed.