St Clears RFC | 1st Team 31 - 34 Tumble RFC | 1st Team
William John Davies
Try 1
Adam Phillips
Conversion 2
Courtney Bowman
Try 1
Steffan Rhys Henry
Try 2
Michael William Edwards
2 Try
Steven Anthony Hewitt
1 Conversion
Steffan Rhys Davies
1 Try
Steffan Price
1 Conversion
2 Try
Rhys Lewis
1 Try

Match Report
07 October 2017 / Team News

WRU Plate Championship Home to Tumble 07/10/2017

A beautiful late autumn day with the pitch in excellent condition made for running rugby, which is exactly what we got!

Within three minutes of the start, new signing on the wing, Steff Henry broke through several tackles to score in the corner and three minutes later second row Courtney Bowman repeated the move with an even better score in virtually the same place but full back Adam Phillips this time added the extras to put Saints 12 points to the good.

Not to be undone however Tumble immediately struck back and from an excellent kick from skipper Steven Hewitt, left wing Michael Edwards ran in a comfortable score in the corner.

Missed tackles were to blame for the next try, the fourth, all within fifteen minutes of the start, this time the visitor’s centre Steffan Price touching down in the same corner and only the post prevented a successful conversion and tied scores.

In the breathless scheme of things the game almost settled down a bit at this stage and there were almost ten minutes without a further score before, following considerable pressure from the home pack and a succession of scrums on Tumble’s ‘ten yard line’ a penalty try was awarded to extend Saints lead to 19 points to 10.

Tumble hit back again however and with skipper Hewitt orchestrating things, his excellent kick allowed winger Edwards to score his second, a repeat of the first in the corner and this time Hewitt finished things off with a good conversion to produce the half time score of 19 points to 17 in favour of the home side.

Almost immediately after the restart missed tackles again allowed number 8 Steffan Davies to force his way over for an unconverted try to put the visitors in front for the first time but within minutes an immediate response allowed Steff Henry to score his second under the posts to put Saints back in front at 26 points to 22 with the conversion from Adam Phillips.

In a phase of play which is beginning to fall into an unfortunate recurring pattern Saints found themselves on the wrong end of two tries in five minutes with scores from centre Steffan Price, together with his own conversion, and hooker Rhys Lewis to put some clear space between the sides and an eight point lead.

Once again the home side raised their game and following good work from Steff Henry, Will Davies touched down for an unconverted score to reduce the arrears to three points. However despite almost constant pressure and wave after wave of attacks falling short time and time again, against the solid wall of the visitors defence, they were unable to break it down again and with the final efforts exhausted and Tumble almost scoring themselves, both sides were relieved to hear the final whistle with all tanks empty .      

Eleven try thriller, nip and tuck the whole way, end to end action and result in doubt right to the last kick. A credit to both sides.and a great game of rugby.