St Clears RFC | 1st Team 32 - 19 Tumble RFC | 1st Team
Michael Charles Georgiau
Try 1
Tomas Rees
Try 1
James Davies
Conversion 2
Penalty 1
Ryan Jeremias
Try 1
Shane Richard Morgan
Try 1
Dafydd Walters
Try 1
Steffan Rhys Davies
1 Try
Nathan Willard
1 Try
Scott Jones
1 Try
Steven Anthony Hewitt
2 Conversion

Match Report
03 November 2017 / Team News

Home to Tumble 04/11/2017

A second visit of the season from Tumble who were hoping to gain their first league win of the season to repeat the earlier success at Parc Griffith Jones, when they came out on top by 34 points to 31 in the first round of the National Plate.

The visitors started well, pinning Saint Clears back on their try line in the early stages and were extremely unlucky not to take the lead when the referee was unsighted on the wrong side of the ruck and missed what looked like a legitimate try!  

Having survived this opening ten minutes of intense pressure the home side were rewarded with an excellent try in the corner from second row Dafydd Walters to take the lead and within ten minutes a second for number 7, Ryan Jeremias under the posts, which together with the successful conversion from James Davies, posted a twelve point lead.

This setback served to spur the Magpies into action however and within ten minutes they had levelled with scores from number 8, Steffan Davies converted by captain, Steven Hewitt and an unconverted try from second row Nathan Willard.

On the stroke of half time a penalty for offside in front of the posts provided the opportunity for the home side to go into the lead at the break and James Davies coolly slotted the kick over to give Saints a narrow three point lead at the interval, reflecting a very close, keenly fought first half with nothing to choose between the two sides once again! 

An interval pep talk from head coach Mikey Jones and a couple of team changes sent a very different Saints side out for the second half and it was against the run of play, when a try for the home side looked certain, that a breakaway try from an interception by full back Scott Jones, five yards from his own line, allowed him to run the length of the field to put the visitors in front for the first time.

Saints were not to be denied however and their revived momentum, following the break, was soon to be rewarded. Captain Mathew Lewis was unlucky to fumble the ball, with the try line at his mercy and within minutes a touchdown from full back Adam Lewis, from a pass from Lewis, was ruled out when he was adjudged to have touched the touch line.

Almost immediately after this with the visitors struggling to contain the pressure exerted by the home side, number 8 Tom Rees, on for Mathew Dance, registered the inevitable try and within minutes outside half Shane Morgan completed another and finally a third from inside centre Mike Georgiau, converted by James Davies saw Saints home with a well deserved victory including what may still prove to be a very useful bonus point come the end of the season!