St Clears RFC | 1st Team 52 - 27 Loughor RFC | 1st Team
James Davies
Conversion 5
Penalty 4
William Davies
Try 2
Rhodri Wyn Evans
Try 1
Ryan Jack Cole
Try 1
Tomas Rees
Try 1
Andrew Howells
Try 1
Nathan David Davies
11 Try
Lewys Edwards
11 Try
Trevor Jones
1 Try
272 Conversion
111 Penalty
Jonathan Phillips
1116 Try

Match Report
30 September 2018 / Team News

Home to Loughor - Plate Competition 29/09/2018

A beautiful late autumn day for the first round tie of this year’s plate competition against fellow Division 2 side Loughor started with a bang with a try within the first minute for Saints Number 8 Ryan Cole, converted by full back James Davies, followed by an immediate response from Loughor from the kick off, when indecision by Saints in collecting the loose ball allowed the visitors to gain possession and their number 8  touched down with a conversion from their outside half to level the scores.

 The all out action continued with Loughor just about enjoying the best of the exchanges and another expansive back division play saw their full back score in the corner with an excellent conversion added by number ten. The lead was short lived however when Saints outside centre Will Davies levelled the try count under the posts and James Davies added the extras to tie the score at 14 points apiece.

A penalty from Davies after half an hour edged Saints ahead and within five minutes two further tries from the home side through prop Andrew Howells and scrum half Rhodri Evans, both converted by Davies opened up a comfortable gap of 17 points. A successful penalty for Loughor just before the break reduced the arrears but Saints were good value for their 31 points to 17 lead at the break.

The second half continued at the same hectic pace and although the visitors had their fair share of the game they struggled to contain the home side’s attacks which always looked more dangerous. A yellow card for the visitor’s outside half did not help and when Davies kicked the penalty resulting from the offence and then within the ten minutes of the player’s enforced absence, Saints had added two more tries, a second for second centre Will Davies converted by Davies again and the second for Tom Rees, their fate appeared to be sealed with a score line of 46 to 17.

‘Home and dry’ turned into a nervous ten minutes however for the home side when the visitors scored twice and at 46 to 27 it was ‘game on’ again. Two further successful penalty kicks from Davies settled the nerves however and with no further scares Saints were able to run out worthy winners of an exciting game of rugby by 52 points to 27..